Vital Idol is a remix album by English rock singer Billy Idol, released in June 1985 by Chrysalis Records. It contains remixed songs from his first two albums and the Don’t Stop EP. The album was reissued in the United States with one extra track in September 1987, peaking at number 10 on the Billboard 200. The US release was supported by a non-album live single version of “Mony Mony”.
The original release, sporting a photo from the “Dancing with Myself” video, was first issued in Europe in 1985. It peaked at number seven on the UK Albums Chart, outperforming Idol’s previous studio albums. The US release was expanded to feature the “Mother of Mercy Mix” of “To Be a Lover” and reissued in 1987 with different cover art, featuring a photo still from the live video for “Mony Mony” on CD. The 1987 issue was 24-bit digitally remastered and released globally in 2002.
The album has been certified platinum by both the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) and Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
- “White Wedding (Parts I & II)” (Shotgun Mix) 8:20
- “Mony Mony” (Downtown Mix) 5:01
- “Hot in the City” (Exterminator Mix) 5:09
- “Dancing with Myself” (Uptown Mix) 5:57
- “Flesh for Fantasy” (Below the Belt Mix) 7:04
- “To Be a Lover” (Mother of Mercy Mix) 6:49
- “Love Calling” (Rub a Dub Dub Mix) 5:33
- “Catch My Fall” (Remix Fix) 4:56
Keith Forsey – producer, remixing
Gary Langan – remixing (“Flesh for Fantasy”, “To Be a Lover”)
Billy Idol – remixing (“Catch My Fall”)
Steve Stevens – remixing (“Catch My Fall”)
Tom Lord-Alge – remixing (“Mony Mony” (Hung Like a Pony Mix), “Mony Mony” (Live), “Shakin’ All Over”)